8.9.10

עברית

Yay! Katy put Hebrew as an option for typing on my computer! My title just says "Hebrew" in Hebrew. Nothing fancy because I don't really know anything yet. But I will need it for my studies. Macs are awesome like that.

Things are going great. I have my schedule figured out. Hebrew 1001 (a.k.a. "baby Hebrew"), Hebrew 5009 (grammar), Introduction to the Hebrew Bible, and Biblical Texts Used in the Liturgy. Awesome part about grad school is that most of the classes are only one day a week. Baby Hebrew is 4 days a week, Hebrew grammar is 2 days, but Intro to Heb Bible and Biblical Texts are only one day a week each. I'm taking 2 classes a day, essentially. Sweet. It's going to be a lot of work, but I'm really looking forward to it all! Katy, Rachel, and I are all in Intro to the Bible together, and so worked on our initial homework together. Various exegetical questions regarding a specific biblical quote and then a comparison of the Tanakh (the short name for the canonical Hebrew Bible) and the Talmud (a rabbinical commentary on the Tanakh).

So far this is the only class I need to purchase books for (the Intro class). Four books in total, I purchased 3 from Amazon because they were cheaper. Loans don't go through until next week. :/ I just need to get myself a Tanakh with Hebrew and English. Another student is giving me his Hebrew text book so I won't need to buy that. However, my grammar and liturgy classes do not have a book list. Not sure why. Oh wells. If so, then I will have spent less than $100 on books this semester!!! Cha-ching! More money in my pocket once the loans come through!

Ma roommies and I have also been doing some serious cooking. By "serious" of course I mean "cheap but still tasty"! We've been out to eat only twice! We're getting really good at finding cheap, organic, kosher food, which is about impossible to find, but not in New York City!!!! Watching the Food Network whenever there's nothing to do also helps to give us fresh ideas. Because we all have such opposing and unique dietary restrictions (by "we" I mean just my roommates because I have none), we don't eat too much meat or protein-rich foods, so I've been packing my lunches full of peanut butter. YUM! I've grown quite fond of peanut butter, I must say. Maybe it's the lack of protein. But we always have a super delicious meal, so that makes up for it all!

I still have not gotten used to the car alarms, car horns, and sirens, which blare about 2/3 of the day, despite living in a pretty residential area of the city. If it weren't for those sirens, I'd near forget I live in a city...

No comments: