28.6.09

Some photos...

Since I had so many photos and I was having a hard time deciding which ones should go up, I'm going to do this is stages. I'll start off with a bit of an over view. Galilee is located in the north of Israel. It's very hilly and mountainous with a teeny little coast line. It's split into Upper, Lower, and West Galilee by mountains and the Quishon River. Um...here's a website with a bit more info: Galilee.

I'll start by showing you the overviews we saw throughout various times on the trip, so you get an idea of what is looks like.

Mountainous, is about the best word to describe it.

Look! The Sea of Galilee!!!

Mountains and valleys...

Also green.

Here you can see Haifa and the Mediterranean Sea behind it.

Haha, they have a nuclear power plant up there.

Look at the clouds. That's what fascinated me the most. The weather was absolutely perfect. Warm, not hot, breezy, cloudy.

We also made a stop to Mt. Carmel to a Carmelite Convent that had a fantastic view of the valley and mountains. Here's the Jezreel Valeey.

Farms, clouds...

There was like a map pointing out all the various locations around the Middle East.



Here's the convent...

This is a statue of the prophe Elijah killing the prophets of Baal. The convent is placed on the spot thought to be where Elijah challenged the prophets of Baal to call fire from their god (Baal) to send up the sacrificial calf. When nothing happened, Elijah poured water over the entire altar, soaking everything. Then he charged God to light it aflame. When the sacrifice went up in flames, Elijah and his men killed all the prophets of Baal.

That pretty much says what I just said except in Latin, Arabic, and Hebrew...

There was a triptect of the story...

Of course, no Catholic shrine is complete without a sanctuary to Mary.

And the full view of the convent.

Ok, now that it's taken me like an hour to do this, I'm going to stop here. I'll try to get more pictures up later. For now I should probably go through my notes and make sure everything is going to plan and figure out what I'll be doing this week. We have many many new volunteers so after getting settled with the people we have already, we need to refigure logistics. Until laters, with more photos...

No comments: