28.9.08

Relaxing Weekend

Oh man, this weekend was absolutely amazing. I don't think I've ever been so relaxed. Well...at least in my adult life. Denise, Melissa, Eric, Jordan, and I went up to Jordan's family's cabin. Melissa went on the art trip on Friday, so we weren't actually expecting her until midnight. She actually got back at 11pm, so we got to leave by midnight! Yay! We went up in Jordan's little Jeep Wrangler. We got there not long after midnight, I don't think. It was about 30 minutes to get up there. First thing we did was walk around in the drizzle to see what it was like in the dark. Jordan started up the gas generator so we could get some lights on and set things up. We got some foods for the weekend earlier on Friday and brought it all in and put things away. Jordan gave us a little tour (it's so nice) and we all picked out our beds. Melissa and I slept up in the loft.

We stayed up a little bit playing Scattegories. haha. The only way to get electricity was to turn on the gas generator, but we didn't want to waste the gas. So we lit oil lamps all over instead. It was so coolThen we went to bed and everyone slept super well. We got up around 10:30 or 11am and Jordan made us a hearty breakfast of eggs, sausage, and potatoes with English muffins. mmmmmm. Then we set out on a little hike to see Jordan's uncle's cabin. There was a light rain, but it was still really nice, especially because Fall had really hit up there, and it was so colorful and pretty.

When we got back we set up to play Risk and Jordan cooked up the cheddar sausages we bought for lunch. Man, that game of Risk was intense, especially when Densie came out of nowhere and wiped Eric out of the Americas. hahahaha. He was so angry, it was so funny. Then I read my book for my class that I'm supposed to have finished for Monday for like two hours and I'm halfway through it. ha. A bit behind on that. Glad I brought it up with me. It was nice not to have any electricity because that meant no TV and no computer. We had a radio on batteries, so we listened to some jazz CDs. But at one point all of us were just sitting around reading, and that was so cool. He also has this little game where there's a 1.5in gold ring hanging from a string and you have to try to hook it on a hook on the wall about 9ft away. It's amazing how one can amuse onesself without electricity. haha. Seriously, it was fun. I think I might start banning myself from TV and computers on the weekends when I'm able (meaning no papers due on Monday).

Then Jordan started up the charcoal grill for some tasty marinade chicken grillin'. While waiting for that to heat up, we went out and collected birch tree bark for kindling for a fire for later, and some wet branches and logs. haha. We were all a little skeptical, but Jordan said that birch tree bark will light no matter how wet because it has so much oils in it. And you know what, he was right. It lit. And for a long time, so it even had time to dry out the wet branches and logs! We roasted marshmellows and made s'mores! But his parents didn't leave enough Hershey's chocolate, though we found Reese's cups. Let me tell you, Reese's cups make MUCH more delicious s'mores!!! Because there's also peanut butter!!! Mmmmm. But then we started to hear the cyotes who were starting to come in from the smell of the chicken we grilled. So we decided it best to go ahead inside. We played Balderdash (that was amusing) and then we all sat around and read some more. We went to bed pretty early, too. Like 12:30! haha.

We left around 1:30 today to come back. There wasn't any running water at the cabin, so the first thing we all did when we got back was shower. haha. And now I really need to start on my homework. I have a 5 page paper to write on my opinions of a movie I watched in Anthropology, then do my Hebrew homework (which is easy...), then maybe go to the writing center for my paper. I've never been my entire time here, but from the grade I got on my first paper from Gaber, I think I'm going to start going for all my papers. I'm going to try to get a head start on my readings for Tuesday and my other two papers due later this week, both of them 5 pages each. Stuart's making tasty blue cheese and mushroom burgers for dinner tonight. I can't wait! mmmm.

Tomorrow I'm going to talk with Dr. Johnson about grad school stuff. Oh poo, I really need to sign up for the GRE! ugh. Next weekend I need to get a start on my research paper for Archaeology colloquium. Next Saturday LEAF is going out on the Storm Drain Stencil Project, so that should be fun. I get to spray paint! For an environmental cause! Yay!!!!!! haha.

Ok, that's all. I'll put up pictures later in the week from the cabin, when I'm done all my crazy school stuff for the week. haha.

No comments: