4.7.09

Happy 4th of July!!!

I realize that I never wrote what the goals were of our dig for this season. That's ok to post online, just not what it is exactly we've found. So, to begin, this season's goals at Tel Gezer:
  • Connect Field A (administrative center along inner wall) with Field B (domestic quarter) to see the relationship between the two areas of the city.
  • Extend Field A East to better explore Bill Dever's "Palace 8000" center by the gate.
  • Continue searching for the outer fortification system in the "Lower Sondage" area in order to better understand the fortifications of the city.
  • Extend the "sondage" north. A "sondage" is what we name the long, deep (for lack of a better word) "trench" to view the entire stratigraphy of the site, from modern topsoil and fill to, hopefully, the Late Bronze Age.
  • Continue in Field B (domestic quarter) to better understand the destruction left undisturbed by R.A.S. Macalister in his 1900s excavations.
And those are the goals. I can explain them better when I'm home and also tell everyone what we've found. Just no online posting.

Now, I'm having an awful time getting the internet to work well, so I can't put up more pictures. I'd really really like to finish all that, but the network just doesn't seem to want me to do that. So this is all I can post for now. Actually...I should really be working anyways, so I'm going to do that now.

HAPPY 4th OF JULY!!! I miss you all!!! Eat lots of cheeseburgers with ketchup, mayonnaise, and spicy mustard and the GD potato salad for me!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy 4th of July!
We've been thinking of you all and miss a lot being there. We're following your blog closely. Lan wishes, she could dig the silo again. She had a premonition that there is lots of stuff at the bottom. Make sure you take lots of pictures of the square and silo.
Greetings, to everyone, especially Jason, Maricel, Byron, Lynn and all the rest.
Your faithful slaves, Roger and Lan Pfeil